2 types of thermal printers are available in the market:
- Thermal Line Printers. (Supported after UltimatePOS version > 2.19): Easy to Install & Use.
- Thermal ESC/POS printers: Complicate to install & use, also some languages & curriences symbol may not be supported.
×WE RECOMMEND USING A THERMAL LINE PRINTER FOR THE EASE OF SETUP AND GOOD PRINT QUALITY.
Browser-based printing or Thermal Line Printers or Direct Thermal: (Recommended) #
Thermal line printers also called as Direct Thermal, are easy to install & use. Also they supports browser based printing. For better result use paper with width 79mm.
To use a thermal line printer follow these steps:
- Setup the printer on your computer with the appropriate driver which comes with the printer.
- Go to Settings -> Business Locations -> Settings (green color button for each location). Here change the Receipt Printer Type to Browser based printing and save it.
- In the invoice layout select the Design as Slim
- To disable print dialogue preview, follow the steps mentioned here
You’re now ready to use the printer, no more steps required.
Thermal ESC/POS printers: #
Setting an ESC/POS thermal printer involves 3 steps:
- Adding a Printer
- Configuring business location to use the added printer.
- Installation Pos Print server.
Step1: Adding a Printer #
- Add a new printer from Settings -> Receipt Printer
- Select the appropriate Connection Type:
- For “Network” provide the IP Address of the printer.
- For “Windows” map the printer to a file and provide the path of the file. You can do this by sharing the printer with your localhost.
The path will be in this format:smb://localhost/my_printer_nameORsmb://computer_name/my_printer_name (where my_printer_name is name of the printer)
- For “Linux” your printer device file will be somewhere like
/dev/lpsmb://localhost/my_printer_name OR smb://computer_name/my_printer_name (where my_printer_name is name of the printer)(parallel),
/dev/ttyUSBsmb://localhost/my_printer_name OR smb://computer_name/my_printer_name (where my_printer_name is name of the printer)(USB-Serial),
/dev/ttySsmb://localhost/my_printer_name OR smb://computer_name/my_printer_name (where my_printer_name is name of the printer)(serial)
- Select the capability profile and add character per line supported in the printer.
- Save the Printer configuration.
- Check the video below for more details on setting it.
Step2: Configuring Business Location to use printer: #
- Go to Settings -> Business Settings.
- For a particular business location, go to “Settings” in actions column.
- Change “Receipt Printer Type” to “Use Configured Receipt Printer“
- Select the “Receipt Printers” from the list of Receipt Printers
- Click on Update.
Step3: Installing POS Print Server #
For printing via receipt printer, you will need to install a “pos print server” on your local computer from which UltimatePOS is used.
- Download the server from this link. by clicking on “Download Repository”
- Unzip the zip file.
- Rename the unzipped folder to “pos_print_server”.
- Move the pos_print_server to document root (which is htdocs in XAMPP).
- Open Command Prompt or also called terminal. And go to the “pos_print_server” directory. You can go to this directory using “CD” command in the command prompt.
- From the Command Prompt which is now inside pos_print_server directory run the below command:
After running the command it will start the print server and show a message “Server started…”
- Now we are ready to go. Try creating a test sell from the pos screen and it should print in your thermal printer. If you haven’t added a printer then follow the steps mentioned in “Step1: Adding a Printer” and it should work.
Great, now we’re ready to print on a thermal printer.
Give it a test drive.
Video Guide: #
Follow the steps as mentioned in this video up to 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GRVEdWuxmAUse pos_print_server instead of the Github repo mentioned here.
Go to POS screen, add a test invoice and check if it prints. If not please check if the pos receipt server is running or not.
ESC/POS Printers #
Many thermal receipt printers support ESC/POS to some degree. This driver has been known to work with:
EPOS TEP 22
Epson TM-U295 (requires release() to release slip).
Epson TM-U59 and TM-U59
Equal (EQ-IT-1) POS-58
SEYPOS PRP-3 (Also marketed as TYSSO PRP-3
Zjiang ZJ-589T (Marketed as POS 589T)
Printing via Phone/Tablet Bluetooth using Thermal Printer #
In Global POS there is no special setup required for printing via mobile Bluetooth using thermal printers. You can print receipts like printing any other documents from your computer/mobile in these printers.